Meths 4 Litre
Meths - Purple Methylated Spirits - Widely used Industrial Grade Denatured Alcohol used in all applications requiring a coloured industrial grade alcohol which can tolerate a small amount of water. Methylated Spirits is a clear purple, primary, aliphatic alcohol, with a mild non-residual odour and is miscible with most hydrocarbon solvents and chemicals. A concentration of >60% Ethanol is antibacterial.
- Common name(s): Ethanol, Ethyl Alcohol, Alcohol, Meths, HMS, Hydrous Methylated Spirits, Coloured Methylated Spirits, Metho
- UN Number: 1170
Methylated Spirits (Meths) Common Uses:
- Cleans surfaces & floors, sterilising medical and dental instruments and domestic cleaning.
- Glass cleaner – Dilute 1 part Meths with 5 parts water.
- Cleaning wooden floors – Dilute 1/2 cup of Meths with 8 litres of warm water.
- Removes vivid/ink from some painted surfaces.
- Clean burning BBQ starter fuel and fuel for some camping equipment.
- Used in the manufacture of many ethanol cleaning products and cleaning compounds.
- Methylated Spirits is not a “potable” spirit as it includes a denaturant.
- Ethanol MS95WP should be used for similar applications, where an uncoloured, industrial grade alcohol is required.
- Use SDA AMS MS99WP in applications where the presence of water is undesirable.
- Isoproplyl Alcohol can be used when Methylated Spirits is too harsh on plastics and paints. As Methylated Spirits is a primary Alcohol and Isopropyl Alcohol is a secondary Alcohol.